Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Humility

Every so often you get to thinking you are pretty smart, and fortunately, someone or something is waiting around the corner to snap you back to reality. I think the only way to get better is to realize that you aren't very good at something. I think that this is good for the soul. The problem is, what if what you need to get better at is something you don't want to get better at?

As a programmer the next step is to be a better programmer, right? But a lot of these high-paying programming jobs that are out there have these barriers in front of them. They are made of giant heaps of time complexities, big o notations, stacks, queues, data structures, algorithms, and all sorts of other terribleness. I don't know any of this stuff, and the only thing that makes me want to learn it is so that I can tell other people that I know it when they ask me. I should want to know it to know it.

In my last job I did a ton of interviewing people, and I didn't really bother to ask these types of questions - why not? Obviously a) because I don't even know the freakin answer, but also b) because I can't really fathom how it was honestly relevant to the position.

So the question is - should I bother to learn this stuff just so I can get a job and not use it, or should I not bother, and then only get jobs in the future that don't require the brainteaser quiz answers? I think I know the answer, but I really dread it. Sigh.

0 comments: