Friday, November 7, 2008

Starting Over...

So like I mentioned, I have been involved in trying to start my own business.

I am ready to get back in the game. Round one was a definite loss, but not a knockout. Let's get started again, but this time, let's do it right. I am a developer. This time I am going to be working with one person, also a developer. Developers are good at tech startups, because they know how to build things. They are also bad at tech startups because all they want to do is build things. I have a degree in business, so I would like to claim that I transcend this problem, but I don't. I am a way better carpenter than I am an architect. When presented with a plan, I can execute. That's not good enough for what I am trying to do.

Now it's time to learn how to be the architect, and not just the architect of a software program. An architect of a business, start to finish. In my last venture, I made the mistake of not being involved enough in the early-stage business decisions. That's my fault. I didn't really take part in the research of competitors, in the development of our core premise. I didn't really do my due diligence in figuring out WHO were going to sell to, HOW we were going to get in those ears, WHAT problems we were going to concentrate on solving, WHEN we were going to deliver real demonstrable milestones. You can build the coolest crap in the world, and if you can't sell it, it's worth nothing. It's a bunch of 0s and 1s on a disk somewhere.

I am tired of creating 0s and 1s without a home.
blog comments powered by Disqus