Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Politics!, or Why Scott Brown Matters So Much

Well Barack Obama's time in charge hasn't been all peaches and cream.  Is anyone surprised??  I am not, but ever since 'worst.candidate.ever' Martha Coakley blundered away Ted Kennedy's seat in Massachussetts, all the talking heads have been writing Obama's political eulogy.  I think it's far too early to say that anything is a failure or that Obama will never get anything done.  It took two years for Clinton to fail at passing health care, and I think we can agree that from a non-Lewinsky standpoint, he did a pretty decent job.

Why does it matter so much if the Democrats have only 59 votes??  The filibuster!  That's why!  Jena and I were talking about it the other day, and I must admit that I was fairly ignorant outside of being able to say that 60 votes allows you to shut down the filibuster completely.  Fresh Air to the rescue!  The first segment of yesterday's Fresh Air program explains the dynamics of the filibuster...click the link below to listen:


Gregory Koger, Explaining The American Filibuster

blog comments powered by Disqus